Sunday, May 10, 2015

Happy Mothers's Day

to all you mother's out there! To all the others I say HAPPY DAY!!!!

This is what I was surprised with from my oldest son yesterday! As I was making dessert this morning I noticed the card:  there was a spool of thread, flowers, buttons, and candy to the side of the writing…all my favorites!
 
 
 
 
 
 
 
 
 
 
 
 
 
 
 
 
 
 
Tomorrow Lar and I will be taking out windows to be rebuilt. The center silhouette is supposed to be the founder of Williamsport.
 Hopefully I do not break it as my helper broke Jesus’ face on a church repair. (This was after the customer said “Please do not break Jesus.” I had to repaint a new face and told the customer I did. He said it was fine because you couldn’t even tell it was replaced.)

 

I have one OPAM so far for this month. A new wallet! Do you think I needed one?:
 
 
 
 
 
 
  
I don’t usually carry a purse or bag with me…go figure, I make them, just don’t carry them…
This little wallet fits great in my back pants pocket and  I don’t have to dig for it in a bag.
 
I am getting to sew more because I was not put on the schedule at work, even though others are. It seems the people they want to 'get rid' of were not scheduled for graduation week and I am one of those people. Do you think they are trying to tell me something? Little did I know of this saying until the beginning of my last month working: The squeaky wheel gets the grease. It is also the first to be replaced. Now they tell me, just because I asked for new pans so the omelets wouldn't stick, and complained about people not doing their job, etc. I will not find out until the end of May if I go back to work in Aug. so I might as well take advantage of the time off.
 
My friend asked me to alter her daughter’s prom dress. I had to take 5 inches in on the back to make it extra snug (the mother didn’t like this dress because it is strapless and is afraid it will fall down in front). I also had to take it up 5 inches.
 
 
I had to go to JoAnn’s to match the thread. I also needed a new silicon pressing cloth (I can not find my other 2). Because they were having a huge sale I just had to look around and saw the scissors were half price. I bought a pack of these months ago and really like them (for being cheap, $3.70 they work great!) so I picked up another pack.
 
Now back to my fable. The back fix was easy after I figured out to take both layers apart and remove the extra fabric. The hem was totally a full on pain! I found out I have a lot of practicing to do when it comes to rolled hems and the foot would only let me do a straight stitch. Because I wanted the same look as the original, I started to do a locking stitch. Well, my machine loved this fabric so much it would ‘eat’ it. I had to cut it out of my throat plate 2 times before I finally thought: stabilizer! Worked like a charm!

dissolving stabilizer
 

side stitching is original, top is hem

 
Thank goodness I did not have to alter Doodles’ dress, WHEW!!!:
 
This is one of my favorite desserts and was the one I was making when I spotted the card:
Fluffy Tapioca Cream
Mix:
3Tbls. Tapioca, 3 Tbls. Sugar, 2 cups milk, and 1 egg yolk in a medium saucepan. Let stand 5 minutes.
Beat:
1 egg white until foamy, gradually adding 3 Tbls. Sugar until soft peaks form.
Cook:
Milk mixture until it comes to a full boil.
Remove:
From heat quickly stirring into egg whites until well blended. 
Stir:
In 1 tsp. vanilla
Cool and enjoy.
This recipe is on the back of the ‘Kraft Minute Tapioca’ box.
 
Have a great week!
D.G. L
 

4 comments:

Monique (A Half-Baked Notion) said...

What a thoughtful gift you received! Hope you are having a great Mother's Day :)

I always think of grad/wedding/formal wear alterations as strictly "labours of love". They seem to always involve "just a small re-fit" (according to the non-sewing friends requesting them) which always turn into quite a bit of reverse engineering, don't they? LOL. Oh well, the happy youngsters' smiles make it worthwhile :)

Marly said...

Thank goodness for dissolving stabiliser! The only time I did a rolled hem on a chiffon dress I stabilised it with tissue paper. It was the devil of a job to remove the paper afterwards!

Christine B said...

You are working on lots of fun projects! I hope you had a lovely Mother's Day! :) x

Threadpainter said...

Now I know the real reason I stopped altering wedding gowns and prom dresses ... I didn't use wash away stabilizer !!! what a help that would have been ! ;)